Counseling: A BCS Advantage
BCS has two full-time Counselors who work to support the academic, social, emotional, and character development of every student.
- We do whatever it takes to help students be successful through:
- Academic and Behavior Planning
- Coordination of Response to Intervention(RTI) services
- Partnering with Parents
- Weekly meetings with classroom teachers and support staff
- Classroom Interventions
- Character Education
- Assist Teachers with Service Learning and Project-Based Curriculum Projects
- Provide resources for teachers
- Curriculum Integration of Character Education
- We meet with all new families for an interview to glean information about their incoming students.
- We help facilitate Move-Up Day where students visit BCS to meet their teachers and classmates for the following year.
- 8th grade Transition to High School
- Assist teachers with course placement regarding students going to high school
- Meet with each 8th grader and their parents to select their ninth grade courses.
- Hand Schedule and individually place all students in classrooms to create the most successful learning environments possible. Then, we input the information into Powerschool vs. the system randomly scheduling the students into classes.
- We learn who are students are and spend a great deal of time to make sure students are placed appropriately.
- Review all parent and teacher input for student placement
- Assist teachers with math placements and provide relevant data for them to place students successfully
- Create and monitor curriculum for 7/8 Career course
- Assist with and monitor completion of all students Educational Development Plans using the Career Cruising Program
- Assist Career class teacher
- Curriculum Integration of Michigan Employability Skills
- Organizational Strategies
- Create the curriculum that all 7/8 students receive during Academic Lab to increase their organization and study skills.
- Coordinate standardized testing and disseminate data to staff, students and parents
- MEAP (Reading, Writing, Math, Science, Social Studies)
- NWEA (Reading, Math)
- Math Placement testing
- ACT Explore (8th grade)