It was another great week at BCS! Smiles, energy and a passion to learn remained evident. Please be sure to check out some pictures from the week on the Birmingham Covington School Facebook page. Also, grade reports for grades 5-8 will be available via PowerSchool on Friday, April 22. Students in 3/4 do not receive report cards for the third quarter, they receive report card at the end of quarters 1, 2 and 4.
Spring has finally arrived and three fun-filled Spring Events are happening this week!
1) Don’t forget - SPRING PICTURE FUN DAY is this Tuesday, April 19. Pictures will be taken during lunchtimes on the cafeteria stage. Order forms were sent home with students last Wednesday. Students can wear their spring colors and may bring school appropriate props for their pictures. Prop ideas include sports balls and equipment, stuffed animals, a favorite toy, flowers, etc.….be creative! Pictures can be taken in friend or sibling groups with up to four people. Spring pictures are FUN because there are 16 colorful backgrounds to choose from. There are sports scenes, outdoor scenes, the locker room, and much more. View the backgrounds and prop ideas on the photographer’s website: www.kaiserstudio.com.
How can you order SPRING PICTURES?
· Complete the order form and have your child give it to the photographer on Tuesday.Order forms can be downloaded from our website: http://bcsonline.info/Documents/Forms/2016_Spring_Picture_Order_Form.pdf. Make sure to include payment (cash or check payable to Kaiser Studio) OR
· Order online at www.kaiserstudio.com, click ORDER PICTURES, then PREPAY ORDER and enter our school code: 38BCSFUN (not case sensitive). Kaiser Studio accepts Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover for online orders.
2) As we celebrate the efforts of our Reflections participants this Thursday, volunteers are needed to help for the lunch. 120 students in grades 3-8 will be recognized for their participation and achievement in this program. Please click here to sign up.
3) We look forward to seeing people at our BCS Proud Dads Golf Outing which will be on Sunday, April 24 at 3:00 PM at Lincoln Hills. Contact Nate Black at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
And finally, Friday, May 6 is the next (and final) Eat & Run of the year – sponsored by our Proud Dads! Proud Moms, Dads, Aunts, Loved Ones, join your BCS kid(s) & their friends for lunch and fun – please note the updated times:
· 5/6 Lunch 11:15-11:55am (adjusted due to trip to Seaholm to see the UM Glee Club from 9:30-11:00am)
· 3/4 Lunch 11:45am-12:25pm
· 7/8 Lunch 12:25-1:05pm (adjusted due to Career Day in the afternoon)
See the flyer with more Eat & Run details here. Be sure to tour the main hallways to view our BCS Gallery of Art – it is a treat for the eyes! Thank you to Mrs. Husbands for spearheading the amazing display. Also, Friday, May 6 is our semi-annual BCS Career Day sponsored by Proud Dads. The 3/4 Career Day will be from 12:30-1:15 PM, the 5/6 will be from 1:05-2:05 PM, and the 7/8 will be from 1:10-3:20 PM.
BCS is a great place to be! Check out the pictures from the week on our Facebook Page. We’re looking forward to another great week of learning at BCS!
Wishing you well,
Twitter: @mark_morawski #BCSLearns
Like BCS on Facebook!
Like BCS 20 Year Celebration on Facebook!
Character Connections Word of the week: ACCEPTANCE
Infuse this word into your conversations/lessons with your family as a character education focus. Talk about the quotes. There will be a new word every two weeks.
· “The first step toward change is awareness. The second step is acceptance.” – Nathaniel Branden
· “Happiness can exist only in acceptance.” – George Orwell
· The greatest gift that you can give to others is the gift of unconditional love and acceptance.” – Brian Tracy
2016 M-STEP – Testing for Grades 5 & 8 continues this week
Apr 11-29 Grades 5 & 8 M-STEP testing window ELA, Math & SS
Apr 25-May 13 Grades 4 & 7 M-STEP testing window ELA, Math & Science
May 9-27 Grades 3 & 6 M-STEP testing window ELA, Math
· If you would like to check out the M-STEP, practice Tests/Sample Item Sets for M-STEP can be found at: https://wbte.drcedirect.com/MI/portals/mi/ott1 (must be used in Google Chrome and use the username and password included on the screen).
· Kid narrated video tutorials are available by clicking here. (Works best with Chrome.)
· Click here for the BCS grade-specific M-STEP schedule to help you avoid any outside-of-school scheduling conflicts.
· 2016 M-STEP Parent Letter
· M-STEP: What is it? What it means and What it Offers
· PTA Parent Guide to Assessments & Accountability in Michigan
WEEK AT A GLANCE – Week of April 18-24
To submit an item for next week’s “WAG”, email email@example.com by WEDNESDAY at 5PM
Monday, April 18
· New Choice Hours Begin
· 6:45-8AM Track Practice
· 4PM Girl’s Soccer Game – Away @ West Hills MS
· 4:30-5:30PM First Boy’s Tennis Practice (Somerset Courts)
Tuesday, April 19
· Spring Picture Day (during lunch, see details below)
· 6:45-8AM Track Practice – PICTURE DAY, BRING JERSEYS!
· 4:15-6:10PM Girl’s Soccer Practice
· 4:30PM Boys Tennis Match – Away vs. Norup/Anderson
· 8PM BPS Board Meeting (Education & Administration Building)
Wednesday, April 20
· 6:45-8AM Track Practice
· 4PM Girl’s Soccer Game – Home vs. Country Day MS
· 4:30-5:30PM Boy’s Tennis Practice (Somerset Courts)
· 6:30PM BCS Web Team Meeting (Media Center)
Thursday, April 21
· Reflections Participants Recognition Lunches in 3/4 Science Labs during lunches (click here to volunteer to help out)
· 4:00PM Boy’s Tennis Match – Home vs. Berkshire (Somerset Courts)
· 4:15-6:10PM Girl’s Soccer Practice
· 4:30PM Track Meet – Away vs Anderson MS @ Berkley (Hurley Field, Busing Provided)
Friday, April 22
· 3/4 Earth Day Field Trip
· 4:15-6:10PM Girl’s Soccer Practice
Saturday, April 23
· 9-11 AM Saturday School at Berkshire
Sunday, April 24
· Proud Dad’s Student & Parent Golf Outing (see details below)
ALL BCS NEWS
Chartwells- BPS Food Service-click -WEEKLY MENU - for updates click NEWSLETTER or BREAKFAST MESSAGE
CONGRATS TO THE BCS SCIENCE OLYMPIAD TEAM
On Saturday, April 16th, thirty 4th and 5th grade students from BCS competed against eighteen teams at West Maple Elementary. The team worked hard and had a fantastic time. The following students brought home awards for their event. The BCS Team came in 1st Place overall! See individual results here.
APRIL STUDENT SPOTLIGHT
Congratulations to our April Student Spotlight, Ian H.!! Please click to read all about IAN!!
DONATE USED ITEMS TO THE DAV THROUGH THE COLLECTION BIN AT BCS!
We continue to team with the Disabled American Veterans and are collecting clothes, shoes, toys and small house appliances. There is a collection bin in the northeast corner of the BCS parking lot. All items donated will go to disabled American Veterans. BCS receives $50 for every full bin and the money we raise will continue to support the village of Chilupula in Zambia, Africa. When you are cleaning through closets and drawers, please consider donating the items to the Disabled American Veterans via the collection bin in the BCS parking lot. Donation receipts are available in the BCS office.
SPRING PICTURE FUN DAY IS TUESDAY, APRIL 19.
Pictures will be taken during lunchtime on the cafeteria stage. Order forms were sent home with students today. Students should wear their spring colors and may bring school appropriate props for their pictures. Prop ideas include sports balls and equipment, stuffed animals, a favorite toy, flowers, etc…be creative! Pictures can be taken in friend or sibling groups, up to four people.
Spring pictures are FUN because there are 16 colorful backgrounds to choose from. There are sports scenes, outdoor scenes, the locker room, and much more. View the backgrounds and prop ideas on the photographer’s website: www.kaiserstudio.com .
How can you order SPRING PICTURES?
· Complete the order form and have your child give it to the photographer on Tuesday. Order forms can be downloaded from our website: http://bcsonline.info/Documents/Forms/2016_Spring_Picture_Order_Form.pdf
Make sure to include payment (cash or check payable to Kaiser Studio).
· Order online beginning NOW.Go to www.kaiserstudio.com , click ORDER PICTURES, then PREPAY ORDER and enter our school code: 38BCSFUN (not case sensitive). Kaiser Studio accepts Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover for online orders.
Please remember only students who have placed an order online or those that have an order form to give the photographer will get their picture taken. You will be purchasing SPRING PICTURES in advance of seeing the picture. We are also in need of a couple of volunteers during spring pictures. The time for volunteering is 11:00-1:30. If you can help during any of this time, please email Nancy Best, NBest@birmingham.k12.mi.us .
REFLECTIONS CELEBRATION PIZZA LUNCH
All students that participated in the PTA Reflections Art Program are invited to attend a free pizza lunch on Thursday, April 21st, in the 3/4 Science Lab during their regularly scheduled lunch time. Although none of the BCS submissions qualified for the National program, we will be recognizing all participants, BCS, and BPS District winners.
Volunteers are needed to help for the lunch. 120 students in grades 3-8 will be recognized for their participation and achievement in this program. Please click on the link to sign up.
Contact Diana Patterson with questions, firstname.lastname@example.org.
UPDATED – MAY 6TH IS THE MOM’S EAT AND RUN – sponsored by Proud Dads!
Join your BCS kid(s) & their friends for lunch and fun.
· 5/6 Lunch 11:15-11:55am
· 3/4 Lunch 11:45am-12:25pm
· 7/8 Lunch 12:25-1:05pm
See the flyer with more details here.
BPS SATURDAY SCHOOL
School program, sponsored by our African American Family Network, is a great
resource for ALL K-12 BPS students who would like to receive additional academic
support in any subject of their choice.
Future Saturday School dates: April: 23, 30 /May: 7, 14, 21
Sign up for Saturday School's Remind notifications! Text the message @satschool to 81010 to sign up. For more information: http://bpssaturday.weebly.com
CHOICE HOUR UPDATES
CHOICE HOUR INFORMATION:
4th Quarter Choice Hour classes begin Monday April 18th. Choice Hour selections are posted on the Choice Hour board in the main hallway and in each homeroom.
The deadline for requesting a Choice Hour class change is Thursday April 28th by 4:00 PM. Choice Hour class change request forms will be available in the main office beginning Friday April 22nd. Classes with openings will be listed on the back of the Choice Hour class change request form. Please read the change form very carefully.
Students requesting a change will be expected to attend their originally assigned classes for the first two weeks of the new quarter. ALL Choice Hour changes that are approved will go into effect on Monday May 2nd. You will receive timely notification if your Choice Hour change request is denied.
Choice Hour drop refunds will be processed for classes dropped during the official Choice Hour change period which ends at 4:00 PM on Thursday April 28th. No refunds will be processed after the Thursday April 28th deadline.
No Choice Hour drops, adds and/or changes will be accepted over the phone or via email. All Choice Hour change requests require a parent’s signature. Please pick up the proper paperwork in the office.
Choice Hour Planning for 2016-2017 School Year:
Choice Hour planning for the first quarter of the 2016-2017 school year has begun. Several parents have already volunteered to teach some very interesting Choice Hour classes next year that highlight their talents and interests. If you would like to share your time and talents with a small group of students during Choice Hour please contact Linda Stone at 248-203-4625 or email her at email@example.com for more information.
Attention 3-5th grade Parents: The BCS Destination Imagination Team is expanding, and we need your help! Destination Imagination is a nonprofit, global competitive program. The kids work collaboratively to solve challenges based on science, technology, engineering, art, and math. We're looking for volunteer team managers. It's fun, rewarding, and such a great opportunity for the kids. With your help, our team could compete in up to 3 tournaments! Please contact Brenna Adams firstname.lastname@example.org to hear more.
We are also looking for parent volunteers to offer Math Pentathlon choice hour classes for grades 3-5.
Choice Hour Reminders:
Students that do not have Choice Hour on any given day need to be picked up by 3:20 PM. Students that do not have a Choice Hour class and are not picked up by 3:30 will be charged a $5.00 fee.
If your student has Choice Hour but will not be attending their Choice Hour class please call the Choice Hour attendance line (248-203-4625) to have them excused at 3:15, email Linda Stone at email@example.com or pick up a pink slip in the office to have them released from choice hour. Choice Hour attendance can be a very time consuming job. The safety of your children is always our priority. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated. If you have any questions regarding Choice Hour attendance please call Linda Stone at 248-203-4625.
MONDAY, APRIL 19 THROUGH FIRDAY, MAY 13:
*FIRST WEEK OF CHANGE*
Frishman, Seley, Maliszewski, and ParWall 3 will be in the GYM.
Butzin, Davis, Harvath, and ParWall 4 will SWIM.
MEDIA CENTER NEWS
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO VISITED OUR SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIR THIS SPRING!
Your generous donations and purchases bring money back to the BCS Media Center, which in turn we use to fund the purchases of library books, BrainPop and other database subscriptions, as well as library reading programs such as Battle of the Books and Birbery. This book fair raised over $2000 for the Media Center! A huge thank you also goes out to our volunteers, who put in many hours of setup, selling, and cleaning up. Your support is very appreciated!
7/8 TEAM UPDATE
GROVES PARENT/STUDENT TRANSITION FOR INCOMING FRESHMEN
This is a reminder that we will be hosting the 8th Grade Parent/Student Transition to Groves High School on Monday, May 2nd beginning at 6:30pm. Students will have the opportunity to meet with fall coaches beginning at 6:30pm in the Commons. The program for students at parents will take place at 7pm in the Little Theatre.
COMMUNITY NEWS AND INFORMATION FOLLOWS…
Hear Ye! Hear Ye!! By Royal Decree!
The Groves Performing Arts Company kindly requests your Attendance to see the Spring Play, THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD!! Everyone from Far and Near can Gather in the Groves High School Little Theatre (park off 13 Mile Road)
On the following Days and Times:
· Thursday, April 21 at 7:00 pm
· Saturday, April 23 at 2:30 pm [matinee – perfect for our younger show goers!
· Saturday, April 23 at 7:00 pm
· Sunday, April 24 at 2:30 pm [matinee]
Tickets are on Sale NOW in the main office at Groves High School during school Hours. Ticket prices are $10 for Adults and $8 for Students K-12. This show is Filled with Fun and Adventure, Sword Fighting, Dancing and Humor and Moves at a Fast Pace!! If you have any Questions, please Contact Leisa Passarelli at LPassarelli@birmingham.k12.mi.us. See the flyer here.
PARENTS AND BOOMER GENERATION: ATTEND THE BOOMER SUMMIT
Live Well: Join thought leaders around the region for this exciting morning specifically designed for the Boomer Generation. The event is Saturday, April 30 at 7:30am at Groves High School. See the flyers for more details here.
Explore and learn at this student-driven event. Don’t miss it! Music, presentations and more!
Groves High School, May 3, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., Free to public
MIRACLE FOOTBALL SIGN UP
Come join the football coaches and players of Seaholm and Groves High Schools for a fun day to learn basic football skills!!!!!
Where? Seaholm High School
When? May 15th 3:30pm-5pm
Who? Students with special needs - ages 7 and up
What to bring? Sneakers and a bottle of water (camper t-shirts will be provided)
Sign up at:
2016 ACADEMIC Summer School
1st Semester: June 21 – July 8
(No school July 4th)
2nd Semester: July 11 – July 27
Register before May 27th & SAVE $25.00!
DOWNLOAD THE SUMMER SCHOOL CALENDAR AND COMPLETE BROCHURE AT WWW.COMMUNITYED.NET
· Each semester lasts 13 days!
· It can replace a lower grade in a previously taken class!
· If you have good grades and good attendance, there is NO FINAL EXAM!
· It features a variety of class choices.
For additional District and Event News, Athletics Community Sports Groups Information click BPS District eNews
To review the District’s Non-Discrimination policy, click here