November 10, 2013
Our teachers are in the process of finalizing report cards for the first quarter and on Monday, November 11th report cards will be sent home with our 3/4 students at the end of day and can be viewed on PowerSchool by our grades 5-8 parents/guardians. Also fall conferences are being held this week on Wednesday, 11/13/13 from 1-4 and 5-8 PM and Thursday, 11/14/13 from 5-8 PM. Please be sure to join us for one of these important dates!
· 3/4 grade – Please be sure to sign up for your child’s conference on www.signupgenius.com or find the link on your teacher’s blog.
· 5/6 grade – Please be sure to sign up for your child’s conference through the www.signupgenius.comsent to you by your child’s room parent. Math conferences for Mrs. Brown, Mrs. Lowery, and Mrs. Roberts will also be handled through signupgenius.com and will take place Friday, November 15. Mr. Burdick will be available on Wednesday, November 13.
· 7/8 grade – The conferences are located in the cafeteria. Conference times are not pre-arranged, so please come and see us at your convenience.
· Co-Curricular Teachers –Please allow time to meet with your child’s Co-Curricular teachers during conferences. Co-Curricular classes make up a significant part of your child’s schedule. Across the 3-8 spectrum, these classes include: Art, Careers, Code Academy, Engage, Engineering Technology, Health, Instrumental Music, Physical Education, Spanish, Thinkering Studio and 21st Century Living Skills. All full-time BCS teachers will be available during all scheduled conference hours in their normal teaching location (click here for the schedule). Some of the Co-Curricular teachers have teaching assignments in other schools and will only be available during the times listed on the schedule. We look forward to discussing your child’s progress with you. You are welcome to attend our conferences with or without your child present.
Also, don’t forget, the BCS Scholastic Book Fair is coming to our media center November 11-15 and will be open during conferences as well as other times. To get a sneak peak of the schedule, check out the details at the Book Fair website and click here to volunteer to help at the fair. We’ll see you there!
Finally, we are excited to let you know that Judy Share, 7/8 ELA teacher, who has been on leave is returning this Thursday where she will work with her ELA teammate Mary Cruz on Thursday for planning purposes and her guest teacher Andrea Leach on Friday with the students as she transitions back to our team. Then, Andrea Leach, who a few years back student taught with our 5/6 team at BCS, will rejoin that team specifically serving at Karen Fitz’s long term guest teacher. Andrea’s familiarity with BCS, great relationships with Tammy Brown and the entire 5/6 team, and her qualifications in Language Arts and Social Studies will fit perfectly for the students and the team in Mrs. Fitz’s absence.
And, in closing, to all our veterans, Happy Veteran’s Day!
"I think there is one higher office than president and I would call that patriot."
Here’s to what will be another fantastic week of learning at BCS!
BCS – A Great Place to Be!
Wishing you well,
P.S. We are looking at an option to merge our ability to communicate with our parents more efficiently and with more options (email, phone, text). To that end, if any parents/guardians have had changes to home phone, cell phones or emails since the start of the school year, please be sure you email those changes to Mary Baughman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
P.P.S. Please remember that the Square1Art drawings for those students wanting to participate are due tomorrow, Monday. The special art paper on which to draw was sent home early last week. Students can turn their drawings into the office Monday morning.
Neat Volunteer Opportunities
· PTSA Technology Committee Chair: Partner with teacher/admin. Team to coordinate technology learning opportunities for parents (Tech Café) for the year. Our first planning meeting is Tuesday, November 19 from 5:30-6:30 p.m. Contact Patricia Chinn for more information or if interested.
· PTSA Curriculum Enrichment Chair: Liaison between the chairperson of the different PTSA enrichment programs and the PTSA Executive Board. Great way to get to know the neat enrichment opportunities at BCS. Contact Elizabeth Robbins for more details.
· BCS/PTSA Event Message Board: We’d love a parent who would be willing to change out our letters out front on our BCS sign with the next upcoming event. Contact Kathy Juriga if interested in helping out with this.
– To view previous 2013-14 BCS WAG documents click here!) –
Character Connections Word of the week: Honesty
Infuse this word into your conversations/lessons with students as a character education focus.
· Honesty is the first chapter of the book of wisdom. – Thomas Jefferson
· Honesty is the best policy. If I lose mine honor, I lose myself. – William Shakespeare
· Be true to your work, your word, and your friend. – Henry David Thoreau
WEEK AT A GLANCE – Week of November 11-16, 2013
(Disclaimer: Please check all your calendars and bcsonline.info in case we missed something)
To submit an item for next week’s “WAG”, email email@example.com by WEDNESDAY 5PM
Monday, November 11
· 6:45-8AM-7/8 BOYS BASKETBALL PRACTICE
Tuesday, November 12
o We will have to cancel due to limited registration unless more registrations come in Monday morning.
· 7-8AM -Proud Dads 5/6 Girls Basketball begins today PROUD DADS GIRLS BASKETBALL
· 2PM-3:15-8TH Grade EXPLORE testing
· 3:15-4:05--7/8 BOYS BASKETBALL PRACTICE
· 4:05-5:30PM-6-8 GIRLS SWIM PRACTICE
· 7PM-Blast Committee Meeting-Media Center
Wednesday, November 13
· Half Day for students-Buses depart at 11:20
· 6:45-8AM-7/8 BOYS BASKETBALL PRACTICE
· 8:30-11:20 8th Grade EXPLORE testing
· 12-1:30PM - Learn to Draw offered today – click LEARN TO DRAW
· Conferences-1-4 and 5-8PM
Thursday, November 14
· 7:15AM-BOKS Program
· 3:15-4:05--7/8 BOYS BASKETBALL PRACTICE-Parent Meeting at 4:05
· Conferences 5-8PM
Friday, November 15
· 6:45-8AM-7/8 BOYS BASKETBALL PRACTICE
· 4:05-5:30PM-6-8 GIRLS SWIM PRACTICE
Saturday, November 16
· 9-11AM- Saturday School at Berkshire
Hot Entrée menu for the week: Lunch Menu-Twitter: @BPSFoodService Facebook: BPS Food Service
EIGHTH GRADE ACT EXPLORE
Please review this letter regarding eighth grade ACT Explore testing that will take place on November 12th and 13th. The letter was mailed home to 8th grade families on November 4th with a flyer from the ACT Explore Program. Click here for the letter.
EIGHTH GRADE NEWS- HIGH SCHOOL VISITS –PLEASE MARK YOUR CALENDAR for families scheduling vacations
Monday, November 25th Seaholm High School from 11:30-2:30
Tuesday, November 26th Groves High School from 12:00-2:00
There will be a permission slip sent out-please watch for it.
REMINDER FROM THE OFFICE REGSRDING ELECTRONIC DEVICES
We have had several situations where Apple devices have been misplaced recently. If you do have an Apple device, please download the free “Find my iPhone” or “Find my iPad” application as it can be very helpful to us and to families to locate the device. In addition, it is helpful to have a student’s name on the device and the case so that we can determine who it belongs to and return it.
BIRMINGHAM EDUCATION FOUNDATION’S theme for 2013-2014 “Paving the Way to Inspiration!” -Please read this important letter from the BEF and Dr. Nerad. click BEF Paving the Way to Inspiration
Have Any Gently Used Board/Card Games to Donate to BCS?
We would like to provide the opportunity for our students to unwind during recess if the upcoming days of inclement weather prohibit us from being outside for recess. We are currently developing a library of board game options for our entire BCS community. Thus far, we have had donations from PTSA and Friends of Different Learners. If you happen to have any games that are taking up space, consider providing a new home for them at BCS. (Examples; Connect 4, Uno, decks of playing cards, Pictionary, simple games without too many pieces that can be misplaced. We would be particularly interested in games from other countries or cultures that can encourage our students Learn Globally.) Thank you in advance for your consideration. These games would also be utilized by our rewarding LINKS program. We encourage all of our students at BCS to be a LINK. If you would like your child to be a part of this leadership opportunity, contact our coordinator Meg Keydel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PE UPDATES-2ND MARKING PERIOD-MONDAY, NOVEMBER 4 THROUGH FRIDAY, DECEMBER 6:
Frishman, Seley, Maliszewski, and Wallington will be in the GYM.-MUST WEAR GYM SHOES
Butzin, Davis, Harvath, and Parkin will SWIM.-SEND SUITS, TOWELS AND GOOGLES
The winter 1 season is now open for registration at www.bpsregister.com. If your athlete is interested in Girls Swimming or Boys Basketball, please be sure to register online and be sure that s/he has a physical on file dated on or after April 15, 2013. Please see www.bcsonline.info/athletics.html for schedules and other information.
PROUD DADS SPORTS INFORMATION
5/6 GRADE GIRLS BASKETBALL click PROUD DADS GIRLS BASKETBALL
The dates are November: 12, 19, 21, 26 and December 3,5,10,12,17,19. From 7-8AM
Monday 11/18, 6:30 pm in the media center. Sign up is Monday 11/25 - 8:00 AM outside the main office.
Dates for 2013-2014 are Dec, 10, 17 Jan. 7,14,21,28 Feb. 4, 11 & 25 (make up)
2ND QUARTER CHOICE HOUR ANNOUNCEMENTS
The deadline for requesting a Choice Hour class change will be Friday November 15th by 4:00 PM. Choice Hour class change request forms will be available in the main office beginning Friday November 8th and online. Classes with openings will be listed on the back of the form. Changes are processed on a first come first served basis!!
Students requesting a change must attend their originally assigned classes up to and including Friday November 15th. ALL Choice Hour changes that are approved will go into effect on Monday November 18th. .
Choice Hour drop refunds will be processed for classes dropped during the Choice Hour change period which ends at 4:00 PM on Friday November 15th. No refunds will be processed after the Friday November 15th deadline.
NO CHOICE HOUR DROPS, ADDS AND/OR CHANGES WILL BE ACCEPTED OVER THE PHONE OR VIA EMAIL. ALL CHOICE HOUR CHANGE REQUESTS REQUIRE A PARENT’S SIGNATURE. PLEASE PICK UP THE PROPER PAPERWORK AT THE FRONT DESK BEGINNING FRIDAY NOVEMBER 8TH.
There are still several families that have not turned in their student’s QII selection sheets. We understand that you may have sent a selection sheet and payment to school with your child but we have not received them.
CHOICE HOUR IS NOT OPTIONAL! Students are required to attend Choice Hour three days per week. If you are requesting that your child is waived from the Choice Hour program then visit www.bcsonline.info for a waiver form. Waivers require signature approval from Mr. Morawski or Mrs. Chinn.
Thanks to the families who have generously donated pillow cases and notions to the Changing Lives One Little Dress at a Time choice hour class. The girls are ecstatic about all of the new materials. Changing Lives One Little Dress at a Time is a community service choice hour class that is currently being offered to grades 6-8 students. These students are making simple dresses out of pillow cases to be delivered the girls in Zambia in support of Project Cope. Students in this class design, cut, sew and finish these pillow case dresses. We are in need of more pillow cases, thread, colorful buttons, ½” wide elastic, single fold wide bias tape (to match pillow cases) and rick rack. Your donations would be greatly appreciated. Please deliver to the BCS office marked for Linda Stone.
Thank you for always supporting the Choice Hour program!
SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIR
The Scholastic Book Fair at BCS is here! Our fair will be in the media center from Tuesday, November 12th - Friday, November 15th. Please to send in money with your student to purchase a new book or shop as a family after school or during conferences. Our Book Fair hours are:
· Tuesday, November 12 - 8:30-3:00 PM- Wednesday, November 13 - 8:30 -8:00 PM
· Thursday, November 14 - 8:30 -8:00 PM -Friday, November 15 - 9-11:00 AM
You can also shop on-line from until November 26th at: http://bookfairs.scholastic.com/homepage/birminghamcovingtonschool
LEGO ROBOTICS NEWS
THUNDERQUEST QUALIFYING EVENT-BCS COBRA CRAFTERS
Our very own BCS Cobra Crafters (Lego Robotics Team) will be having their first competition of 2013-2014 school year. Feel free to drop by to see what they have been hard at work accomplishing. Saturday, November 16, 2013, between 7am & 5pm @ Henry Ford II High School , 11911 Clinton River Road, Sterling Heights, MI. If you happen to see any of the Cobra Pit Crew or Fury Crew around School, give them a high five and wish them luck on their BIG COMPETITION. They are very excited! Leo A, Sam B, Tyler C, Adam F, Paul F, Dane H, Laya K, Tejal M, Jacob P, Storm S, Chance S, Jack W, and Daniel X.
SATURDAY SCHOOL at BERSHIRE MIDDLE SCHOOL--Attention: BPS Parents and Students
Saturday School is up and running in full force! We enthusiastically invite ALL students and parents of Birmingham Public Schools to come check out the program this weekend. Saturday School will run each Saturday of the school year from 9:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m., excluding breaks. November: 2, 9, 16, 23 and December: 7, 14. We are asking that each student bring a $2 donation with them, which will be used for snacks and supplies at Saturday School this year. Yes, snacks will be provided! Students, please bring homework or classwork that you would like help with. We will pair you up with a volunteer tutor from Groves/Seaholm NHS, University of Michigan Dearborn, Eastern Michigan University, Oakland University, and more! We look forward to seeing you at 9:00 a.m. this Saturday at Berkshire Middle School! Lastly, we are looking for more volunteer tutors, due to our great turnout of dedicated students. If you are interested, please refer to the contact information below for further details.
For further information, please contact:
PARENT PROGRAM ON COMPUTER GAMES, TECHNOLOGY & MORE NOV. 23
Coming to Parent University on Saturday, November 23rd, a specially requested topic: Computers, Gaming and Technology: When Should You Be Concerned? with guest speaker Jerry Price of the Michigan Family Institute. 9:00-10:00 a.m. in the Berkshire Cafeteria. Parent University is a part of BPS Saturday School and is open to all BPS parents. We engage the topics you ask for to help you guide your children to achieve.
AUDITIONS FOR SEAHOLM MUSICAL “TARZAN” NOV. 25
Seaholm High School is holding auditions for a “Young Tarzan” for our upcoming production of “Tarzan” the Broadway Musical based on the Disney Film. The music and lyrics were written by Phil Collins.
Young boys, elementary to early middle school age, may audition for the role. The part involves singing, dancing and acting. The auditions are November 25th at Seaholm. For more information, contact Laurie Frick, 248 203-3792 email@example.com
BIRMINGHAM BLOOMFIELD COMMUNITY COALITION (BBCC)
· Do you want to a chance to attend the Winter Classic Hockey Games? You can support substance free youth by purchasing raffle tickets with two prizes: 1st Prize is a pair of Winter Classic tickets to see the Red Wings vs. Toronto Maple Leafs on New Year’s Day. 2nd Prize is a pair of Great Lakes Invitational (GLI) tickets to see the Consolation Game AND the Championship Game on December 28. GLI teams are from Michigan State, Michigan Tech, Western Michigan, and Michigan. Tickets are $20 each cash or check OR $21 if purchased on-line at www.bbcoalition.org.
· Attention Parents of 11-19 year olds: your input is needed… We are conducting a short survey to gather important information regarding parental opinions and attitudes of underage substance use and mental health issues in our local communities. This is an anonymous survey and your response is greatly appreciated! Please click this link to access the survey: http://tiny.cc/3uyc4w
· Wanted Talented High School Bands, Singers & Musicians for the BBCC Youth Action Board Battle of the Bands to be held on Friday, January 17, 7:00 – 10:00 p.m., location: TBD. Contact Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info or to audition.
· Save the Date! Friday, January 24, 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. BBCC will be holding a Community Summit on Marijuana, Heroin and Molly featuring Judge Jodi Debbrecht Switalski of the 51st District Court. Location: TBD.
FROM BBFA – BIRMIMGHAM BLOOMFIELD FAMILIES IN ACTION
RE-IMAGINGING TEEN BOYS AS MEN-IN-THE-MAKING with Ted Braude. Join us for a 4-part workshop beginning on November 7th at the Baldwin Public Library in Birmingham. Click here for detailed information on each session and to register online - there is a small fee to attend this program and current BBFA members get a 10% discount - space is limited so sign up today!
DADS & SCHOOL: OVERCOMING CHALLENGES TO FATHER INVOLVEMENT IN CHILDREN'S EDUCATION - a panel presentation with Partnership for Dads on November 12, 2013 at 7:00pm at the Doyle/Booth Center (7275 Wing Lake Road, Bloomfield Hills). This program is free and open to the public. Click here for more information or to register online.
BOUNDARIES FOR PARENTS OF TEENS presented by Julie Fisher and Michelle Miletic on November 19, 2013 at 7:00pm at Bloomfield Hills High School's 9th grade campus (2800 Lahser Road, Bloomfield Hills). This program is free and open to the public. Click here for more information or to register online.