- New Assistant Principal Announced - After a widespread search, screening well over 200 applicants, four rounds of interviews with outstanding candidates, and extensive reference checks, it is my sincere pleasure to announce Jason Hill as our new Assistant Principal at BCS.
We look forward to welcoming Jason to BCS on his first day, Monday, October 6 at team level Town Hall meetings. Be sure to attend our first PTSA meeting on Thursday, October 9 at 1:15 PM to share your personal welcome with Mr. Hill.
- Optional 7/8 Trips - 7/8 students will have the opportunity to participate in two optional field trips next year to San Juan, Puerto Rico, January 14-19, 2015 and a trip to Washington DC, March 6-8, 2015.
For trip and registration information, please click San Juan or Washington. Registration is open for both trips and space is limited.
- 5-6 Rouge River/Linden Park Field Trip - Please have your student return this Permission Slip to their Science Teacher by Monday, September 29th. Dates and times for the trip may be found on the form.
- BCS 2014-15 YEARBOOKS - This is the final week for the Back to School special with the yearbook. Order by 9/26/14 with personalization and get up to four free icons. The yearbook is also still at its lowest price of the year (only $35). Parents can order online by visiting our Yearbook page or by printing out the order form, filling it out, and attaching payment (payable to BCS) by Friday.
- Tuesday, October 7 is Picture Retake Day! You should have already received a form last week. See email sent last Thursday, or
- Order online through Thrusday, September 11 at www.kaiserstudio.com. Click Prepay Order, then Prepay Order on the next page. Our school code is 06covington. Orders made after this date will arrive with the retake photos.
- 2014-2015 BCS Student Ambassador Program - If your child would like to be a student ambassador for the 2014-2015 school year, please click HERE. Forms are due by 8:30am on Friday, October 10.
- Welcome Back!! - It's almost time for another school year. Here are some handy sections of our website to help make the transition easier.
- The BCS community wishes Patricia Chinn well as she moves on to an elementary principal position in Walled Lake. Our search process for a new assistant principal has begun, and in the interim, we welcome Debbie Hubbell, former principal at Derby Middle School, who will serve as our AP on an interim basis until a permanent AP is selected. Debbie Can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or (248) 203-4430.
- PTSA Directory Update
- If you are new to BCS, please click http://bit.ly/bcsdirnew to register online.
- If you are a returning family, you should have received an email (I got mine on 8/14) with a link to update your student's information. All families must update their directory information, even if your contact information has not changed. Look for more information and details in the upcoming email.
Any questions, please email email@example.com.
- Summer Packets and School Suppy Lists are available online - Click here (or Summer Packets under the Students tab). MS Word documents have just been added for 7/8 Academic and Character goal sheets.
- Update your eNews Subscriptions - Click here to visit the Email page to update your BPS email subscriptions to reflect your student's new grade levels.
- Thanks for participating in another terrific Move Up Day (June 9th) - To view a copy of the presentation that Mr. Morawski and Mrs. Chinn gave to our new 3rd grade parents this morning, click here.
- Like us on Facebook! - Click here to visit our new Facebook page.
- The Ripple Effect -- A new BCS newsletter subtitled Sharing the Stories of BCS Students Making a Difference in the Lives of Others is a wonderful snapshot of some of the great work and learning that is ongoing at BCS.
Read Issue 2 - Spring 2014 [PDF 674kb]
Is your family missing from the BCS Directory?? We are missing many new students. If you have not entered your information, you will have a chance to verify your information online once the registration period starts.
If you would like to check your entry, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your student's name and grade and our directory volunteers will let you know!
Did you know? Every student in our school has to have their parent or guardian read the first two pages of the "Concussion Awareness Educational Material," complete the third page with the student's name and parent/guardian signature, and return the signed form back to the BCS office where it will be placed in the student's file per direction from the state. Click here to download, read, print page 3, complete and return signed form to the BCS office. Thank you!
Parents & guardians, have you “graduated” your eNews subscriptions to your child’s grade level for 2013-14 school year? Click here for instructions.
The BCS PTSA has many opportunities to help make next year a great school year. See PTSA home page for a summary of the activities and a SignUp link.
Birmingham Covington School Virtual Tour. Click here to take a virtual tour of BCS (launches a new YouTube window).
BCS Lottery Results and Wait List for 2014-2015 School Year -- Click here for more info.
Monthly Calendar views, print, ...
BPS District Calendar
2014-2015 BPS Yearlong Calendar
- BCS Wins National Recognition - Birmingham Covington School was just recognized as one of The 50 Best Middle Schools in the U.S. by TheBestSchools.org. They are the only school from Michigan to be designated with this honor by The Best Schools. TheBestSchools.org selected BCS based on several weighted factors, including academic excellence, NAEP scores, state assessment scores, received awards and rankings, geographical diversity, and reputation. Congratulations to BCS staff, students and families for this outstanding recognition.
BCS has been selected by Microsoft as one of 80 outstanding Mentor Schools from around the world! Our application, video and other documents clearly showed our school’s passion for and efforts toward innovative teaching and learning. Please click here for the full list of Mentor Schools winners from around the world.
The 2013 Elementary Science Olympiad teams took first and eighth places at the district competition. Get all the details here.
Our Joberts 56 students' Doing Business in Birmingham Project placed first in the Collaboration category at the Microsoft Global Forum in Prague. Microsoft recognized BCS as being one of the top innovative schools in the world. See full article here.
Did you know?
... NAN’S KIDS - No student is ever excluded from an activity at BCS for financial reasons. We have a fund at BCS called Nan’s Kids to assist families. Please let administration know if you have a student who needs this assistance. All information is kept confidential.
... you can make Amazon.com purchases through the Amazon button on the BEF Website at www.supportbef.org and they receive a donation!
... you can use the Search bar (upper right) to find information
... your box tops can earn cash for BCS: Got BoxTops?
... you can support the BEF when you use your Kroger card! Register here