Spring Pictures are April 24 during all of the lunch. Order online at KaiserStudio.com. Enter school code BCSFD39. Spring Pictures Order Form
Choice Hour Change Forms - Choice Hour Change Forms are due back by 4pm on Thursday, April 27. Changes go into effect on Monday, May 1. Changes are made on a first come, first served basis. Classes have limited availability.
Optional 7/8 Trip to Boston, October 2017
- Next year’s 7/8 students will have the opportunity to travel to Boston October 6-8, 2017. For information regarding this trip, click Boston Information There will be an information meeting on Thursday, April 27, 7:00pm in the Media Center. Registration for the trip will open at the meeting. We expect the trip to fill quickly, so if your child might be interested in going on the trip, we encourage you to attend the meeting. Registration information will be emailed to all families after the information meeting.
BCS Featured by EDUTOPIA.ORG -
A team from Edutopia’s Schools that Work visited BCS in October 2016 for a case study spotlighting the innovative teaching and learning at BCS. The case study, along with the five accompanying videos, was released on April 6, 2017 and can be found through a link to the article Birmingham Covington: Building a Student-Centered School. Also, the case study was featured in the ASCD SmartBrief on April 7, 2017.
BCS Celebrates Earth Week 2017 - Join our BCS Green Team in celebration of Earth Day this year for the week leading up to Earth Day (4/22/17). Below is the summary of each day to help us live into one of our 3E’s – Environment from Monday, April 17 through Saturday, April 22 (Earth Day). For a flyer and many more specific check out the BCS Earth Week Flyer!
- All Week 4/17-4/21
- If you pack a lunch, be sure you make it “waste-free”
- Help BCS “Adopt and Animal” by bringing in your loose change
- “Turn your Key to be Idle Free” – turn off your engines in the pickup lines
- “Whiteboard Commitments” – students and staff will add their Earth Friendly commitments to the whiteboards in the collaborative spaces.
- Friday, 4/21/17
- 3/4 and 5/6 students will go see the new film “Born in China” to learn about the endangered animals from the film (goes with our adopt-an-animal change drive effort)
- 7/8 students will participate in a presentation on Sustainable Building Practices
- Earth Day, Saturday, 4/22/17 – With your family, check out some of the many local activities taking place to celebrate Earth Day here http://bit.do/EarthD2017 and please feel free to add to our list.
Remember to view the BCS Earth Week Flyer for all the details!
Quarter IV Choice Hour Registration Begins April 17 - Class lists are posted at the beginning of the 300 hall at BCS. Class lists are not available online.
2017-2018 Elective Information Packets- Please submit the appropriate online form from the link included in the packets below by Friday, March 31.
• Current 6th & 7th Graders (7th & 8th grade next school year) - The directions, along with course options, are outlined for you. Your child will receive one, year-long, elective.
- 7/8 Elective Information Packet
• Current 5th Graders (6th grade next school year) - The directions, along with course options, are outlined for you. Your child will receive one, year-long, elective.
- 6th Grade Elective Information Packet
• Current 4th Graders (5th grade next school year) - Please indicate if your student will be taking band, orchestra or Thinkering Studio next school year. Descriptions are included.
- 5th Grade Elective Information Packet
Yearbooks Are On Sale Now! - Purchase your 2016-17 BCS Yearbook! In order to make the yearbook purchasing process easier, we are suggesting that orders be placed online! Purchase your yearbook online by following this link to Jostens.com. Paper order forms are also available in the office. Click here to see a flyer about the current yearbook offer. Yearbook questions? Contact Mrs. Bassett at firstname.lastname@example.org. There will be a price increase on February 10.
- Like us on Facebook! - Click here to visit our new Facebook page.
- 8th Grade Celebration Information
- BCS Turns 20! Celebration-- To all BCS Families (past and present): Save the date for November 28, 2015 from 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM. Reconnect with old friends, favorite teachers and principals. Twitter: @BCS_Turns_20 Instagram: bcs_turns_20 Facebook: BCS 20 Year Celebration
- The Ripple Effect -- A new BCS newsletter subtitled Sharing the Stories of BCS Students Making a Difference in the Lives of Others is a wonderful snapshot of some of the great work and learning that is ongoing at BCS.
- Read Issue 3 - Winter 2014-15
- Read Issue 2 - Spring 2014
- Salmon in the Classroom -- Thanks to the generosity of the BCS PTSA and Premier Pet Supply in Beverly Hills, we are able to help the Great Lakes by raising salmon. To view the blog click here: BCS Salmon Blog. The salmon were released on May 5, 2015 into the Clinton River in Auburn Hill's Riverside Park. Of the 220 eggs, 180 live salmon were released.
- Did you know? Every student in our school has to have their parent or guardian read the first two pages of the "Concussion Awareness Educational Material," complete the third page with the student's name and parent/guardian signature, and return the signed form back to the BCS office where it will be placed in the student's file per direction from the state. Click here to download, read, print page 3, complete and return signed form to the BCS office. Thank you!
- The BCS PTSA has many opportunities to help make next year a great school year. See PTSA home page for a summary of the activities and a SignUp link.
- Birmingham Covington School Virtual Tour. Click here to take a virtual tour of BCS (launches a new YouTube window).
Monthly Calendar views, print, ...
BPS District Calendar
2015-2016 BPS Yearlong Calendar
BCS Wins National Recognition - Birmingham Covington School was just recognized as one of The 50 Best Middle Schools in the U.S. by TheBestSchools.org. They are the only school from Michigan to be designated with this honor by The Best Schools. TheBestSchools.org selected BCS based on several weighted factors, including academic excellence, NAEP scores, state assessment scores, received awards and rankings, geographical diversity, and reputation. Congratulations to BCS staff, students and families for this outstanding recognition.
- BCS has been selected by Microsoft as one of 80 outstanding Mentor Schools from around the world! Our application, video and other documents clearly showed our school’s passion for and efforts toward innovative teaching and learning. Please click here for the full list of Mentor Schools winners from around the world.
Our Joberts 56 students' Doing Business in Birmingham Project placed first in the Collaboration category at the Microsoft Global Forum in Prague. Microsoft recognized BCS as being one of the top innovative schools in the world. See full article here.
Did you know?
... Annual Education Report
... NAN’S KIDS - No student is ever excluded from an activity at BCS for financial reasons. We have a fund at BCS called Nan’s Kids to assist families. Please let administration know if you have a student who needs this assistance. All information is kept confidential.
... you can make Amazon.com purchases through the Amazon button on the BEF Website at www.supportbef.org and they receive a donation!
... you can use the Search bar (upper right) to find information
... your box tops can earn cash for BCS: Got BoxTops?
... you can support the BEF when you use your Kroger card! Register here